CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 29, 2012

My personal Facebook Etiquette Guide

Many of us have transitioned into the virtual world of reality.  While FB continuously makes changes which annoy most of us there are some things that should and shouldn’t be done.  Since there are no guides, user manual, no Facebook for Dummies books I thought I’d post a few suggestions.   These are mere suggestions resulting in mistakes I’ve made and things I’ve seen or heard about.

I’m sure many of you have your own rules or etiquette you’d like to add.  Feel free to add them in the comment section or send them to me as I’d love to hear them.  Even if you don’t agree, I can take it. 
The “Like” button:

1.       This button doesn’t need to be used at all times. Examples:

a.       If you don’t understand the post, don’t hit “like”
b.      The post wasn’t funny to you, don’t hit “like”

2.       Pressing this button means exactly what it says, you like what is being said.   Like, i.e. I agree with this statement.  Examples:

a.       Someone posts “I love my new haircut” when you hit the like button you are saying “I like that you like it.”  If you want to expound further there is a comment section.  For example, “Me too, you look like a pixie” or even “OMG why would you do that to yourself?  Fire your stylist immediately”  Unless you know the person well enough to joke with them in this manner I suggest all negative comments be sent in a private email.
b.      Never, under any circumstances press the like button if a person posts sad news.  Whatever you would say in person should determine what you say on line.  Someone posts “My cat got ran over.”  You do not press the like button.  Feel free to express your sympathy in the comment section or in a private message, but hitting the like button is offensive to most people.  Again, keep in mind what you would do in real life,.  While out for lunch I tell you “My cat got ran over.”  Would you respond, “I like that” or, “Sorry to hear that?”
Posts:

Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with others or get to know people better.  Facebook is also a way for people to express themselves.   People share funny events, life stories, memories, photos, timelines, political views, quotes from movies, songs, video clips; all kinds of things.  They also post deep thoughts, tragedies, personal information, private jokes and private information.

1.       If you don’t understand a post chances are it wasn’t meant for you.

a.       Do not pester a person for an explanation of his/her post.  The real world doesn’t revolve around you and neither does the virtual.
b.      There are thousands of reasons you didn’t understand a post.  It doesn’t make either of us wrong.  If you don’t get it, move on.  Again, not everything is about you.

2.       You are not required to respond to every post you read.

3.       Please remember that written words can be taken out of context. 

4.       You are more than welcome to respond to a post with your own personal story, funny comment, inside joke to that person or even to disagree with what was said.  If an argument starts open up a private message with the person you are arguing with.

a.       We don’t want to watch/hear you fight with a person at work or at a restaurant.  We don’t want to see it on-line either.

5.       Some people have no boundaries on-line.  The anonymity of virtual space can be intoxicating and freeing.  If you read an overly personal post there is no reason to chastise the person for it under the comment section.  If you feel the need to respond send the person a private message.

a.       Keep in mind you are not the moral police.  If you feel it is okay to give me your advice or comment then I will respond as I see fit.
b.      If the post is offensive to you and you feel strongly enough then comment or send a personal message.  Posts can also be reported to the “powers that be.”  Regardless you should be prepared to have that person defend themselves. 
c.       If you don’t like what a person is posting, don’t read it or if it’s bad enough un-friend them.

6.       Sharing my secrets on-line may result in your demise.  Share your own secrets if you must but get written permission before you share other peoples.

7.       There is a delete button, feel free to use it.

Friend requests:

1.       You do not have to accept all friend requests.

2.       It’s not a contest to see who has the most friends.

3.       If it’s been a long time since you talked to someone, you don’t know a person that well, or if you aren’t sure they would accept your request then I would suggest sending a personal note when you send a friend request.

4.       Quit getting offended if someone doesn’t accept your friend request.  There are MANY reasons why you weren’t added, move on.

a.       If you question why you weren’t added or thought it was a mistake I would suggest sending a message along with your next friend request.
b.      “I don’t want to” is an acceptable response to why a person doesn’t add you on FB.  You can still be friends in real life. 
c.       There is no need to send a friend request more than twice.  It’s not going to happen and you have now become a stalker.

5.       It’s okay to Un-Friend a person.
Finally – if all else fails, try picking up the phone and calling a person.

0 comments: