So far the new school is all about service. For Valentines Day the teachers have asked for 1 1/2 yards of fleece to be made into blankets. Volunteers like myself came in and cut the fabric and onFriday as part of the party each class will tie the blankets. The blankets will then be donated to "The Children's Cottage" which is in connection with the child protective services here. When a child is taken out of a home it is typically without warning and without a chance to gather any of their belongings. TheChildren's Cottage gives the child these blankets for their own at that time.
I love that the school does so much in teaching the children about giving back to the community. As a former foster child myself this melts my heart. I walked into my foster home at age 9 with nothing and it hurt (for many reasons of course). I am thrilled they are doing this.
0 comments:
Post a Comment