Okay my Twilight friends out there - don't hate me.
I don't think I get the popularity of these books. I have trouble with what I view as the pedophile thing: Bella starts out at age 17 and he’s 100+ hello?!?!?!?! Frozen in time or not, that’s just gross. I can handle the glaring typographical errors (although wasn’t someone supposed to proof-read the books?), and the inaccuracies (didn't she keep track of her own story lines?) but I truly don’t get what all the fuss is about. Personally I thought the books were okay for light reading. Well, until I got to number four and she completely lost me. As a series I thought they were somewhat entertaining but nothing new and unusual. So why are so many people going crazy over these books? I’m not trying to insult those who love the books – I truly just don’t get it. So if you’re up for it, email me and explain. I'm asking this because so many people I know are into these books and I'm truly trying to understand the appeal.
Monday, November 17, 2008
Twilight
Posted by Christina at 10:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm such a Twilight Nerd! Russ can hardly stand it. But to answer your question....
My relationship with Twilight is strictly platonic. I love reading it and remembering how it was to fall in love, how exciting, and yes, almost obsessive it was.
I have to admit that I NEVER recommend the books to someone who is looking for a good deep read. Twilight seems only skin deep, which is fine. But, I am surprised at how obsessive some people have become especially with Edward.
When thinking about it, it almost makes sense. When you think about the guys that these teenagers have to put up with. A majority of them have lost all respect for themselves and for women. They are dirty, I want to catch them all and throw them in the shower and cut their hair, and they are becoming less and less like quality men. It makes me worried for Camrie. I want her to end up with her own personal Edward, maybe with a little less of the over-reactiveness... :)
I guess, I don't really know what the hype is either. But sadly, I am one of those who are hyped. It's got to be because I'm such a romantic...who knows.
I do agree that the 4th book came out of nowhere. I didn't really like it very much. But I'm curious to know what the inconsistencies are. I've heard a lot of talk about them but I don't know if I've ever realized what they are. Please fill me in to this secret :)
P.S. I know that you are in Texas now, and I wish that wasn't so far away. The last time I saw Jana she was a brand new baby. And seeing pictures of you and your husband makes me homesick for those good ole' nights when we would watch friends, junk out on cookie dough and Jack in the Box. Haha. Do you remember those days? I miss you. Thanks for all that you did for me when I was a teenager. Those were scary years. LOL.
I have to say that I agree with your friend. It was something for me that was a light, entertaining read. It was the excitment of that fun feeling of love for the first time, and I also agree with the fact that the Edward character was a "good guy". It was a clean read! I do have to agree with you on the typo errors! Lots of them!
Post a Comment