CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 8, 2008

Janna lost her first tooth

Earlier this evening Janna lost her first tooth. It has been loose for a few weeks and she had another tooth growing in behind it. It finally fell out with a little help from daddy. Janna was chewing on a towel pretending to be a dog when David pulled the towel out of her mouth. They were playing and both were surprised when her tooth popped right out. She got a little scared by the blood but let me give her a cold washcloth to sooth it. Then she realized she reached a major milestone and couldn't wait to tell everyone. She called her grandma and Aunt Tina then asked if she could call some of her friends.

The cutest for me was to hear her on the speaker phone with her friend Sarah (age 7). Sarah began explaining how her life was about to change. Sarah told her how it would be harder for her to eat, she'd have to put all her food one one side and that it would feel really funny for a couple of days. It made me see both of these sweet girls in a different light. They were friends, turing to each other in times of joy and offering advice. It was so grown up!!

Janna has been waiting for this great change to happen since Sarah & Erin both lost teeth last summer. She would point to her gap and say, "Look, I lost a tooth." So she was in her element to be able to proudly join the ranks of the big girls and proclaim that she had finally lost her first tooth. To have Sarah give her big girl advice was the icing on the cake!!!

But to be honest the whole thing made me a little sad. I know my child is supposed to grow up, I know she is supposed to go to others for advice, I know she is supposed to have these expereinces sometimes without me. Knowing them and experiencing them are two different things. I'm so happy for her and I would never spoil the moment for her. I waited until she fell asleep before the tears came. Perhaps I'm being overly sentimental (you know me!!!) or perhaps I'm still sleep deprived (I do have infant twins you know) or perhaps I'm just noting the passage of time.

I'm not trying to compare my children. Its just hard when Kennedy has gotten her first two teeth in and here is my oldest child losing her first one. It's like she lost a part of her babyhood. While she will always be my precious baby, the truth is she is growing up. Losing a tooth tonight just forced me to see it in a way I hadn't before.

You hear people say motherhood is hard. Well, these are the moments that make it hard. Trying to figure out why something affects you so much and then dealing with those feelings.

After all, it's just a tooth. Right?


2 comments:

Holly said...

Congrats Janna! Love the photos. Hope she got a visit from the tooth fairy!

The Ward's said...

What a cute girl. I know how you feel. While Ella is still waiting to lose her first tooth, other milestones that she is hitting are making me sasd as well. Ithink that it's completely normal to be happy for them and sad for yourself. She sure looks cute though. Miss you guys!